Actually

... my blog title should be more like "Beer For My Wolfdog?" because I have no horses, not anymore. They're all gone now. My babies are all gone, all the tack, saddles, show tack, grooming supplies, leads, halters, everything, gone! This 97 acre horse ranch is lonely, so very lonely ... There's a reason for everything -- it's said -- although sometimes I simply can't fathom why.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Memphis Manatee Missing

That's right, the little devil has made himself scarce. Yesterday the Manatee Rescue Team from Sea World in Orlando were hoping for a fairy tale ending. They'd driven 14 hours or so from Orlando to Memphis to rescue a manatee in the Wolf River Harbor. When they arrived, they checked the manatee and prepared for an early morning rescue. When the sun came up, they realized the manatee had hit the road ... as it were. The poor animal is no doubt scared to death ... Yeah. I'm worried about him.
I'M OUTTA HERE
Manatee Rescue Update:
(2:30pm) Officials are calling off their "intense hunt" for the manatee in Wolf River Harbor. Search crews believe that the manatee is no longer in Wolf River Harbor, and that it may have migrated south. While local authorities will continue to patrol the harbor for the animal, crews from Sea World and the U.S. Department of Fish and Wildlife are leaving the scene.
They will, of course, return if the manatee reappears. I'm so hoping he just migrated south to warmer waters, which would be natural for him.

Oh, you gotta see this -- how it takes me back!
That's the tower cam high above WAND-TV in Decatur, IL looking down on SouthSide drive. If you keep driving north -- I mean in relation to this photo -- you'll head right into SouthShores, a kind of subdivision/shopping center-kinda place. You can see two of the (I believe) seven basins of Lake Decatur.

And that's a current shot of the weather nearest to me, at Jackson Careers and Technology Magnet Intermediate. Let me tell you, it's been raining horses and donkeys for three days w/ winds whipping at 20.25mph and although it's died down somewhat now we still don't have sun here on the ranch. It's not cold, right now it's 66° but it's just wettttttttttt, and I'm sick of it.

Bet you can't guess where this is!
That is actually the Aina Haina Elementary School in Honolulu, HI where it's noon on a school day. See the little kids? The weather there is 78.5° while the wind is out of the NE at 8.3mph. I can feel the breeeeeeeeeeze ... !

Meanwhile, this is the scene from Denver:

This storm dumped so much snow that schools are closed! Forget flying in and out of DIA. It ain't happenin'.
TWO FEET OF SNOW
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't envious.

Finally -- and this is only fair -- this is the scene of what will soon be a very exciting event, in less than two hours!
That's right fellow babies, that's a shot of Busch Stadium in STL from KMOV TV, where it's presently 47° w/ winds out of the NW at 3.5mph. The wind chill is presently 45° but "Tonight: Windy...colder. Cloudy in the evening then clearing. Low around 40. Northwest wind 10 to 20 mph. Gusts up to 35 mph in the evening." Oh me. That makes no difference, no one knows how to handle Busch Stadium better than the Cardinals as evidenced by their record at home. By the way, what in Sam Hell is wrong w/ the Tigers pitchers?? Could they make more errors?? I mean, even if they tried really hard?? Bad for them, good for us! Woo-hoo!

Do I have a recipe for you! Get a load of it, and tell me this doesn't sound delectable?

Title: Banana Rum Ice Cream
Yield: 12 servings
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Whipping cream
1 1/2 cups Half and half
6 large Egg yolks
2/3 cups Sugar
3 tablespoons Dark rum
1/2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
1 pound Ripe bananas; (about 3 med), peeled
2 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice

Pour cream and half and half into heavy medium saucepan. Bring mixture just
to simmer. Whisk yolks and sugar in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in
hot cream mixture. Return mixture to same saucepan and stir over medium-low
heat until mixture thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is
drawn across, about 7 minutes (do not boil). Strain custard into clean
large bowl. Stir in rum and vanilla. Refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
Puree bananas and lemon juice in processor until smooth. Stir into custard.
Process in ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Transfer to covered container and freeze. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead.)
Makes about 2 quarts.

Sadly, I no longer eat this way. Yup, I've turned into a Healthy Eater aka I've Beat My Body Up Long Enough. Only fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, no refined sugars and so on. It makes it sort of difficult since I have a reaction to aspartame -- it really limits my choices but oh well, you can't have everything. I just drink tons of water now, about 48oz. per day and more if I can stand it. Also, only one soda a day. Sigh!

I'm outta here like a Memphis Manatee -- gotta get Beer For My Horses!

No comments: